Safety Challenges in Freight | Episode 20
In episode 20 of Banyan Technology’s Tire Tracks™ podcast, Kirk Sander, Chief of Staff and Vice President of Safety and Standards for the National Waste & Recycling Association (NWRA), touches on safety concerns within the waste collection sector, drawing parallels to the freight industry’s own challenges.
Distractions, particularly from smartphones, contribute to a rise in accidents, mirroring concerns faced by freight companies. Additionally, regulatory hurdles like tracking and offsetting carbon footprint and challenges with electronic logging devices (ELDs) are also impacting the two industries in similar ways.
Sander also explores the ELD exemption process, emphasizing the need for a nuanced understanding of the industry’s unique operational requirements in government discussions.
Safety Challenges in Freight Episode Key Points
- Introduction to Kirk Sander and background about the NWRA.
- Kirk’s vast career experience and his path to the NWRA.
- Overview of the risks associated with waste removal services.
- Discover his approach to enhancing safety protocols and identifying gaps.
- Regulations and policies applicable to the waste removal sector.
- Unique hurdles the industry poses regarding safety, law, and regulations.
- Insights into the challenging logistical aspects of the industry.
- How the industry is working toward being more sustainable.
- Balancing sustainability with logistics, safety, and regulations.
- Potential roadblocks future regulation and policies may pose.
- Final takeaways that Kirk has for listeners.
To find out more about how the waste industry is tackling the most pressing issues in transportation, click above to view Tire Tracks Episode 20.
Subscribe to Tire Tracks on your preferred podcast app to receive notifications of new episodes released each month.